Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Google Search

Ilovegoogle To make this web blog more useful, I have added a Google Search function. I actually operationalized this a couple days ago but I didn't publicize it because it took me a couple days to figure out from where to swipe the code to put the Google Search box in the right sidebar rather than on the bottom of the webpage where I buried it originally.

Thank you to Footsteps on Clouds for the most usable sidebar example that I could find after paging through many many pages of search results and for code that I was able to copy and modify. I might even "creatively adapt" his use of the Technorati search function as well (try it out, it's fun).

And thank you, once again, to Elise Bernard, for adding the Google search function before me, thereby providing yet another example of something to copy and adapt.

Having the search bar in the topmost part of the page, in the right sidebar, should make the function eminently usable. It was important to do this right because I am a big proponent of usability and paying attention to the principles of information architecture in web design. E.g., I have been a big fan of Jakob Nielsen for more than 10 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home