Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Schoolkids at Logan School

Kids playing at Logan School playground

I took this photo to illustrate the point that historic buildings are "better" places to educate kids than the urban brutalist modern edifices that have been built since the late 1950s. Technically, Logan School isn't open, but students from Thompson School have been going here for the many years that Thompson (at 12th and L Streets NW) has been undergoing renovation.

Still and all, I got the first degree for taking this and two more photos, even though I clearly don't have a telephoto lens and wasn't interested in taking close ups. I haven't got around to complaining to the various commanding officers of the policeman that grilled me, demanded my social security number (which I decided not to provide, etc.). There is a fine line between police harassment and protecting children or citizens and I think the police need more training.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home