Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

You can drink outside, everywhere or just Bourbon Street?

I have been doing some consulting with a community organization in New Orleans--by phone. One of the things we discussed was city proposals to expand an entertainment district into part of the residential area. I talked about the Main Street Approach as being shaped and directed by the residents, that it's not a top-down strategy (H Street Main Street excepted...).

Anyway, I didn't understand their reticence.

Until I experienced Bourbon Street last night.

You can imagine, Bourbon Street these days is a pale reflection of its pre-Katrina baccanal, but it's an experience. And establishments are allowed to blare music at decibel levels that are unbelievable. I know that it's part of the experience.

But I couldn't imagine wanting more of this in my neighborhood.

It's definitely localized though. Other parts of the French Quarter, even a few blocks away, are quiet. But I'm sure that's a function of the reduced population.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home