Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Find a city, Find myself a city to live in.


45411-14
Originally uploaded by furcafe.
I was in Idle Time books tonight in Adams-Morgan. It's always interesting to poke around Adams-Morgan on a Friday or Saturday night. I couldn't get it together Friday night to get over there to listen to Supercade's alternative indie rock, but I will soon.

Lots of people on the street, patios full of patrons eating and drinking, two Vincent Orange for Mayor campaign workers trying to go into a bar to campaign--I don't think the bouncer was favorable, so many pretty women walking along the traffic clogged street. Many of the restaurants had lines. (I hate to wait). At their request, with a Kodak disposable, took a photo of some military guys standing in front of the bar with the "Sorry we're open sign"--"Make sure you get us in the picture with the sign..."

While in Idle Time, poking through books on urban studies and architecture, reading chapters on the ecological vs. the Marxist analysis of the city (I guess I'm an instrumental structuralist, except that I don't believe in the theory of the "surplus value of labor" I think that capitalists need to get more credit for the extranormal returns that come from organizing production in innovative ways) , a Talking Heads song came on.

Cities

Think of London, a small city

It's dark, dark in the daytime
The people sleep, sleep in the daytime
If they want to, if they want to

Chorus

I'm checking them out
I'm checking them out
I got it figured out
I got it figured out
There's good points and bad points
Find a city
Find myself a city to live in.

There are a lot of rich people in Birmingham
A lot of ghosts in a lot of houses
Look over there!...a dry ice factory
A good place to get some thinking done

Down El Paso way things get pretty spread out
People got no idea where in the world they are
They go up north and come back south
Still got no idea where in the world they are.
Did I forget to mention, to mention Memphis
Home of Elvis and the ancient Greeks
Do I smell? I smell home cooking
It's only the river, it's only the river.

Flickr photo of Idle Time books by Furcafe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home