Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Urbanity and weddings/engagement photos

Streetsblog has a funny piece, "Here’s Why No One Shoots Engagement Photos in the Suburbs."  The headline is self-explanatory.

This comes to mind because on Friday, I shot this photo at Union Square in New York City. There is a restaurant facility there--using a building that had once been a parks department office--which can also be rented for special events.

I framed the photo so you can't see the cacophony of the Greenmarket in what would be the foreground.

As Adrian Benepe, former parks commissioner in NYC, said: such a facility brings more activity to the park, provides jobs, etc.

I guess it's customary for some wedding parties to go around DC and have photos taken in front of various monuments.

I got this photo a number of years ago in the vicinity of the US Capitol--a party preparing for their photo.  I had somewhere to go, so I didn't follow them to their final photo.
Wedding party, Union Station Plaza (between D St. NE and the U.S. Capitol)

2 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, Blogger Christopher1974 said...

I guess when you have DC as a potential backdrop that kind of makes sense. But all the wedding photos from the last wedding I went to in DC were taken in the suburbs. Admittedly that location was River Farm. Previous examples have been at suburban parks. It's a lot of extra work and cost to get a wedding party to a a monumental location. The big location in NYC is Brooklyn Bridge Park but the views are stunning.

 
At 3:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well dear, My parents have booked one of the best Chicago Wedding Venues for my wedding party. And, It reminds me that how much fun we had. It was an amazing feeling when I saw my parents and friends enjoying the wedding party.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home