Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Monday, May 23, 2022

Little Free Art Galleries

A number of years ago, the phenomenon of "Little Free Libraries," appurtenances in people's front yards where people leave books for others to take, was created.

I thought they'd end up defaulting to a mean of "schlock fiction," but I was wrong.  Over the years, in many different places, I've found lots of important books on a range of topics.  I've seen them at libraries, museums, outside public buildings (in Essen, Germany), on transit (at the Highbury and Islington station on the London Underground, etc.

In fact, just last week in a little town in Idaho, I checked out their LFL only to find a newly published fiction book on my list to read.  But I've picked up books on airports, positive deviance theory, architecture, cooking, etc.

Since then variants have been created including Little Free Seed Libraries (article, Mother Earth News) and Little Free Food Pantries.  And many people divide the LFL into sections for adults and children.  The Salt Lake City and Salt Lake County library systems have seed library projects.

Wasatch Elementary is an arts-focused school in Salt Lake.  Like many of the schools in the district, they hold an annual fundraising event.  WE is unusual in that the items in the auction are exclusively artworks produced by students in the various classes, usually as group projects.

And now, Little Free Art Galleries ("Little free art galleries are popping up around the Bay Area," San Francisco Chronicle).  

In fact just last Friday at a local school fundraising auction, a LFAG was for sale.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was at a District Taco that had little "art" (but not free) that was dispensed by vintage cigarette vending machines.

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Richard Layman said...

Oh yeah. I remember those. I can't remember which, but once I was in a museum that had that.

 
At 4:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lost my job few months back and there was no way to get income for my family, things was so tough and I couldn't get anything for my children, not until a met a recommendation on a page writing how Mr Bernie Wilfred helped a lady in getting a huge amount of profit every 6 working days on trading with his management on the cryptocurrency Market, to be honest I never believe it but I took the risk to take a loan of $1000. and I contacted him unbelievable and I was so happy I earn $12,500 in 6 working days, the most joy is that I can now take care of my family I don't know how to appreciate your good work Mr. Bernie Doran God will continue to bless you for being a life saver I have no way to appreciate you than to tell people about your good services.
For a perfect investment and good strategies contact Mr Bernie Doran via WhatsApp :+1(424)285-0682 or Telegram : @Bernie_doran_fx or Email : Bernie.doranfx01@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home