Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Dr. Transit is In and Says "Ride a Bike"

Yesterday there was this exchange which started from a post on the columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com email list.

Suzannah writes:

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good route from the 3200 block of Warder to 9th and H [NW]? A friend drives me to work on the first leg of her own commute and we've found Georgia Ave. pretty slow.

Thanks!

Dr. Transit writes:

Ride a bike. It should take less than 15 minutes going to work because you'll be going downhill. However, the road around the McDonalds by Howard U on Georgia is pretty bad, and your speed will pick up there anyway, and don't be too far to the right by the Howard U Maintenance Building if it's wet, because the metal grates in the road are slippery and you could lose control.

To go back home you can just put the bike on a bus rack if you don't want to climb the hill.

P.S. Warder Place is mentioned as the address of the bad guys in Hell to Pay by George Pelecanos.

P.P.S. Riding a bike isn't the recommendation that Dr. Gridlock would give you.

Suzannah writes directly to Dr. Transit:

Thanks Richard.

Normally my environmentally conscious self would agree with you, but my friend uses the car because her dog travels with her to work in Alexandria. I share the ride for my portion both for convenience and resource-sharing.

Like Dr. Gridlock, Dr. Transit gets the last word:

You can't remake the world for your convenience. That's unsustainable from the standpoint of environmental consciousness. It's not likely that there is a faster alternative route by car. There are faster alternative methods for you, maybe not for your friend. There may be faster alternatives for your friend, but not if they accomodate you. I don't know. I ride a bicycle. It makes dating difficult, but when I am by myself, I get around a lot faster, and have more control over my time.

____________
Biking resources include:

Bike Washington
Capitol Hill Bikes
DC Department of Transportation Bicycle Programs
District Hardware/The Bike Shop -- for my money they provide the best service
Metropolitan Branch Trail (along the railroad through Northeast to Union Station)
Washington Area Bicycling Association -- the leading advocates!

One thing about bikes. Bike shops disagree with me, but my advice for short haul bike commuters (rides under five miles) to just get a relatively cheap bike because it will just get wrecked by the roads anyway (I ride upwards of 300 days/year), and within a couple years, the cost of maintenance will exceed the cost of buying another new, relatively cheap bike. Of course, I could learn how to do the repair myself, but wouldn't you rather I learned about place and space issues?

P.S. don't invest in a good seat for short haul use, it helps reduce theft.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home