Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Be prepared (if you want "good" press coverage)

Phish Tea -Day on Flickr - Photo Sharing!.jpgPhish Tea on H Street NE. Photo by Inked78.

Speaking of my core competence of brutal honesty, last week I also pissed off the proprietor of a food establishment in Brookland, who asked for my help in landing a Washington Post review...

I said, "are you 100% sure that your operation can 'withstand' a Post review? Is your food hot, the cakes on display not droopy, your service excellent, etc.?"

She blew off my concerns as reflecting the fact that at some level, our businesses will compete, as I am working to open a restaurant-cafe-market in Brookland. (On the other hand, creating a great destination with many great places only helps everyone.)

Obviously, my questions reflected my own assessment of the operation.

You see, I learned a hard lesson on H Street. Phish Tea opened up in what 2003? Maybe early 2004. I did a walk through before they opened and identified some serious issues concerning the size of the operation and the size of their kitchen, the throughput capability for food and for cleaning dishes and glasses, etc. That didn't even get into their ability to develop strong systems for training and service...

Anyway, they opened to much fanfare. And I was pressured to work the phones and get them press. So I did, despite my reservations. And, what happened? Journalists told me that they had the worst experience they've ever had in restaurants, etc. More than 8 months later people told me experiences where after 90 minutes they still hadn't received their food orders, or that they waited an hour for a check. Considering all that, their prices aren't cheap, $8 for a drink, etc., on a corridor that still doesn't show well...

After that, I resolved that I would never bend to the pressure from others to utilize my press list and contacts when there is a disconnect between what is said about a place and the reality on the ground.

These days, Phish Tea is in default on their lease, although my understanding is they have financial help to remain and new investors. But I can't help but wondering if--if they had been excellent could they have been a catalytic force in improving the perception and quality of the H Street NE Commercial District?

The Post looks for quality and uniqueness. If you're unique in your neighborhood, but basically run of the mill, you're not unique, and not likely to garner a Post review, unless you have another hook...

Lobby, Willard Hotel, Washington, DCLobby, Willard Hotel. Photo: Willard Hotel.

Here's what I mean, from this weekend's Post review of The Willard Hotel(!) a venerable Washington institution with the prices to match. See "An Appetite for Opulence: The Willard Room serves up a fabulous setting but less-than-fabulous food." From the review:

I'm looking for a beautiful setting, chandeliers and what have you," the male voice on my answering machine relayed. "The food doesn't have to be all that great." The March caller's request was timely. I had just eaten at the Willard Room for the second time in a month... If only the food got the same attention as the furnishings!... At the end of his message to me, the caller looking for a spectacular setting said something that reminded me how important packaging can be to diners. "Sometimes," he said, "if the decor is great, the food tastes better." He has a point. He also has a better imagination than I do.

Ouch!

The Willard is owned by one of the leading real estate developers in the city, and is managed by a leading hotel management firm. And that is their review!

Know what quality is, demand it, and provide it. Then, I'll let you use my press list...

Index Keywords:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home