Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Monday, July 10, 2006

Democracy is more than voting or Vote or Die really misses the point

mariahvoteordie.jpg
I've never been too impressed with the "Vote or Die" campaign because you vote, and the system and structure that is really the problem, such as that outlined by Michels in Political Parties; a Sociological Study of the Oligarchical Tendencies of Modern Democracy (written in 1911)--he coined the term "the iron law of oligarchy"--continues.

Councilmember Carol Schwartz illustrates that in today's Post, with the op-ed, "Open Government Is Overrated."

Well then, I have to counter with this: Representative democracy is not all it's cracked up to be either.

Not that I am arguing for dictatorship, but for empowered participation and deliberative democracy.

The problem with representation is that the people with the most to gain are the most motivated, and usually the most able to participate in the system. Hence my writing, seemingly all the time, about the "Growth Machine." They get more access, and more of what they want, in part, because they pay for it, and help get it elected.

I suppose that it's true that we get the representatives we deserve. Although I think we sell ourselves way too short.
votesmall.jpg
We need to build a progressive political movement in the city. As was discussed in the blog entry: Progressive City Leaders, Progressive Urban Politics and Policies (updated). Comment on this entry, please!

About one month ago, I had one of my 70% hypocrisy moments with a City Council staffmember. I asked her for the name of one of the staffers in the office, and she helpfully suggested I go to the Internet and look it up. I erupted: "You're teaching me how to do research?"

But see, I erupted because I spent two years trying to get a meeting with the Councilmember, and I was blown off at every turn. And a whole lot more... This is what I sent to the staffer afterwards; I didn't apologize. Names slightly changed, but pretty obvious (I probably shouldn't be putting this in the blog...).

Virtually every time I sought assistance from CM X's office, I went away empty-handed. Here are but two examples:

1. I tried for two years to get a meeting with CM X wrt historic resources survey in the area north of the Capitol Hill Historic District, up to Florida Avenue. Y had her on lockdown and it never happened.

2. I tried to get assistance wrt the demolition of two 1876 frame rowhouses by the Pilgrim Baptist Church, and the subsequent creation of an illegal parking lot in an R4 zone.

a. I waylaid CM X at a presidential caucus vote in 2004 and she said she would write a letter of support. Later I spoke with Z in your office and he said something to the nature of talking with other people in the neighborhood who were supportive of the Church's position.

I knew this was false since I doorknocked and spoke with most residents on (1) the 700 block of I Street; (2) a portion of the 600 block of I Street; (3) the 800 block of 7th St.; as well as (4) a goodly portion of the 900 block of 7th St.

Subsequently the buildings were demolished.

819-821 7th Street NE, Washington DCThese buildings, their neglect at the hands of the Pilgrim Baptist Church, their subsequent demolition, and the creation of an illegal parking lot still ignored by City Officials is one of the reasons that I argue that inner city churches often foster disorder and neglect, rather than correct it. (Photo by Peter Sefton.)

b. Afterwards, a follow up email wrt the illegal parking lot was never acted upon by your office, and this was during the period when CM X served as the chair of the Council Committee with oversight for DCRA, which has jurisdiction over this matter.
Illegal church-produced parking lot, 817-821 7th St. NEThe illegal parking lot constructed by Pilgrim Baptist Church, the illegality is still ignored by DC Government officials.

Even so, in many public events, CM X has publicly acknowledged my efforts, and for that I am appreciative. I have voted for her twice, and I have a great deal of respect for her--but then, I go weak-kneed for smart people, and X is smart!

However, a long time ago I wrote a poem entitled "is touchtone any better than rotary dial when she still doesn't return my calls?" In it is this line: "I called, again and again, not realizing I already had my answer."

Finally, I figured this out wrt the office of the X, and you may have noticed, I pretty much don't contact your office for anything. I've moved on. When I do need assistance, I ask other people, other offices, and yes, most of the time, I research issues myself.

Below are the links on my blog wrt Ward 6. There are upwards of an additional 955 links, on other topics. Perhaps you read the blog, perhaps not, but many people in the DC Government Executive Branch and other offices in the Legislative Branch do so.

So yes, your seemingly helpful advice touched a raw nerve.

Organize or DieImage from the Newspaper Guild website.

There are a number of resources listed in the right sidebar under Civic Engagement. But in short, we need to work for empowered participation and deliberative democracy ourselves.

Clearly, Carol Schwartz is part of the problem... and so are others. Looking to them for answers is a no win proposition.

Index Keywords:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home