Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

New York State of Mind


New York City
Originally uploaded by Hans Dekker.
People sometimes ask me what places do I like, since I come across as so critical. Sometimes I think I will never be happy but that isn't true. I'm a critic sure, but I love cities.

In North America, for me it has to be New York City, warts and all. Sure it's a tough place to make a go of it, but it offers so so much. The diversity is incredible as are the opportunities.

So I sometimes am rueful, when I come across organizations, blogs, websites, etc., that are critical of NYC, because I think compared to DC, they have it so good.

I haven't really thought of the fact that people from other places probably read this blog and have the same exact thought ("He complains about DC, yet DC is so great...).

One of the great placemaking organizations, with direct lineage to Jane Jacobs, is the Project for Public Spaces. Among many things they do is an occasional web-letter about placemaking.

The new issue, New York City Commentary, is about what's great about New York City and how to make it better yet.

And yes, they cover missed opportunities, such as The Big Apple Hall of Shame and New York's Public Space Opportunities, but also What Makes New York a Great City and Great Public Spaces of New York.

Index Keywords:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home