Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Bike Town

in the jury room, someone left a bunch of back issues of Bicycling Magazine (like Will I am not a racing enthusiast, I just ride, so I tend to not read this magazine) and I learned about the Bike Town project, where the magazine picks communities to help seed and lead pro-bicycling initiatives, including providing free bicycles to a number of people.

I think communities should be doing this kind of stuff anyway, without necessarily giving away free bikes. And it needs to be done at the neighborhood level. Just the other day I was thinking that I can't recall seeing bicycle racks at any of the elementary schools that I have visited in the DC Public School system...

I was also thinking that Bicycling Magazine and other venues need to be writing and agitating for work bikes and other more practical tools for getting around and living day-to-day.

Ironically, the banner ad on the Bike Town project website is selling VWs.
Henry's Workcycles
A workcycle from Henry Cutler.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home