Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

One of those damn signs


One of those damn signs
Originally uploaded by rllayman
1. I believe in self help, and for the most part, I tear down these signs put in the public space whenever I see them.

2. Vincent Spaulding had a letter in the Washington Post about this within the last couple days writing that his ANC created a "zero tolerance policy" about such signs, that the ANC encourages residents to take action.

I don't need government, even at the grassroots level, to tell me something that I ought to know about anyway. I am empowered all by my little own self.

3. At least twice, people have stopped me saying I had no right to take down such signs. I pointed out that the signs were posted illegally in the public space, that they are taking from the public in putting signs there. Me, I always appreciate the opportunity for a teachable moment... Needless to say, my arguments didn't resonate.

4. Many people do comment positively (and some not, when I challenge them for littering) when they see me picking up trash.

5. They need to pick up trash too. I don't need the compliments...

6. I have suggested that using technology similar to "Graffiti Tracker" that the posting of such signs can be recorded, and stings and master fines be assessed.

7. It's a little different with the recent fining of the Answer Coalition. They do have legitimate free speech arguments. I also think that DC's policies need to be a little more supportive of community organizations. Technically, signs about public safety issues can be posted, plus political campaign signs, and nothing else--at least in the public space.

(And I don't take down real estate signs, because the agents take them back up after the open house is over, and I have let nonprofit posters and signs stay up too.)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home