Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

WMATA marketing innovation

Downtown Circulator bus sign, Union Station
DCist reports on two somewhat shocking developments, innovative and relatively inexpensive transit marketing iniatitives by WMATA. See "Commemorative Nationals SmarTrip Cards For Sale" and "Metro Hopes Peeps Can Convince You Not to Drive to Nationals Stadium" from DCist.

WMATA SmarTrip card featuring the Washington NationalsWMATA SmarTrip card featuring the Washington Nationals
The Washington Nationals SmarTrip card is a step forward. Maybe the graphic design of buses and the bus stop signs could be the next step. Then again...
America's Metro
"America's Metro" concept design for the next generation of WMATA subway cars.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Wayne said...

Hi there, I know it has been many years, but do you happen to know where one could get a hold of these commemorative Nationals SmarTrip cards? Thank you.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Richard Layman said...

umm, ebay? Not sure if WMATA still sells them. Probably? That one on the top I haven't seen. I think I have the bottom one, or one similar.

Hmm, according to their storefront webpage, they don't have a Nationals card now (seems to me like they should have one every year...).

https://smartrip.wmata.com/storefront/

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Wayne said...

Hmm, let me know if you would be willing to sell yours, thanks! Also, looks like some cool stuff you work on. Were you involved with Bikestation in DC?

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Richard Layman said...

well, it wouldn't kill me to lose it (it's the one on the bottom) BUT the problem is finding it. It's only in the last year or two that I've figured out a much better way to file brochures, and collectibles, and my un-reorganized backfile is HUGE.

I just looked in the major places where I used to keep that stuff and didn't find that particular card.

You're welcome to remind me every so often. I will keep looking for it.

rlaymandc@yahoo.com

2. fwiw, we weren't involved with the Bike Station. it's a high profile piece of infrastructure that cost a lot of money ($4.5 million). It's run by the local bike rental company, using a common brand, Bike & Roll, used by other rental companies in other markets.

With experience, I don't think it was the right choice, although it is highly visible.

It cost too much money for what it provides and probably more parking serving more segments of the market could have been provided with a different solution.

I'm glad you asked though, because Union Station is going through a planning process now for a very long range period of time and now you have reminded me to bring up alternatives as part of my comments on the EIS/planning process.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home