Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Banner Banality

Notions Capital doesn't like banners.

I don't feel the same way in general. Some places do some great projects with artist-produced banners such as in Baltimore or San Diego. And I think banners can be an important way to mark territory, explain what is important and valued to people who may not kknow, as well as to add visual interest to sometimes underinvested places.

But banality of any sort shouldn't be supported. Some BID banners, even so-called "award winners" aren't very good.

I like the new Dupont Circle banners. And the new Mt. Pleasant banners (I haven't uploaded photos in more than one month so I don't have examples yet...). And the metal street banners or medallions in 14th Street Heights. Etc.
14th Street Heights metal street banner

I have a bunch of images of banners in my flickr account.

(And I have had this debate with colleagues before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home