Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The lens through which you see mobility

Today's Post has an article, "Study: When kids become teens, they get sluggish," about the decline in exercise activity as children age, particularly in the teen years. I only skimmed the article, but in my skimming I didn't see any mention of a precipitous fall off once youths reach the typical "driving age" of 16. I know for myself, my bicycling dropped off precipitously once I was old enough to drive. (I lived about 6 miles from high school, we used to bike ride to the nearby Birmingham commercial district in the summers.) I still exercised quite a bit though, being a cross country and track running, and delivering the Detroit Free Press, and later, working (and standing and walking a lot) in a restaurant.

The NYT has a piece, "Abstract City: The Boys and the Subway," about how two NYC pre-schoolers are enamored with the subways. It's very cute. Likely these boys will be far more oriented to transit (and walking and maybe bicycling) as they get older.
A transit-centric family
Illustration by Christoph Neimann for the New York Times.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home