Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

blogging...

I will be away and my laptop has some pernicious viruses (I don't want to ask a friend to help fix it because the last time this happened it took two people 5 hours to fix, and that's too much to ask of any friend) so I am not sure whether I'll be able to blog much over the next few days.

There's plenty out there to read. City Skip has some good links (I spent a lot of time yesterday poking through Brand Avenue), but so do so many other blogs. the transport politic is very good. The Overhead Wire is a good way to stay up on transportation too.

But my regular almost daily blogreads are Streetsblog, BeyondDC, Greater Greater Washington, and Washcyle. (Plus many hardcopy newspapers and the City Desk blog from the Washington City Paper, especially "Loose Lips Daily." )

Plus planning reports. I need to work my way through the Seattle Urban Mobility Plan and some reports on the Creative Rural Economy from Prince Edward County, Ontario, among others...

Books... Brand Avenue lists some, including one I didn't know about, Branding New York: How a City in Crisis Was Sold to the World, and books that I have but haven't finished (picked up the first edition, in hardback of Kevin Lynch's Site Planning at a used bookstore in Silver Spring).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home