Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

MIT masters student thesis on urban revitalization and stadium development in Washington


Nationals Park
Originally uploaded by spinfly
My correspondent Nigel has uncovered this thesis* on the urban revitalization impact of the Washington Nationals baseball stadium Verizon Center.

I haven't read it yet, so I don't know whether or not I agree with the interpretation, but I figure other people want a crack at it in the meantime.

I have felt for a long time that there is a great deal of student work out there about Washington that we aren't reading. A lot of it is immature, but some of it is really good. (I get a bunch of queries from students and I always tell them that I am happy to interview with them, but they have to give me copies of their final product. For some, that turns them off and they never contact me again...)

(Flickr image of the interior of the Washington Nationals baseball stadium by Spinfly.)

* "Stadium Development and Urban Renewal: A Look at Washington, DC," by James W. Rizzo, September 2008.

Verizon Center at night
Verizon Center at night.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home