Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Sunday, February 08, 2015

DC sustainable mobility street signs

I think I have seen this Neighborhood Bikeway ("bike boulevard") bike route sign elsewhere in the city.  This is off Nebraska Avenue.  I can't say I like it all that much.  I think that bike route signage needs a more coherent identity that should simultaneously market cycling.  E.g., see Joseph Prichard's Better Bikeways signage project.



















And I saw this sign on 34th Street NW by the Cathedral.  I was really surprised because this is virtually identical (but slightly different graphically) to the same sign used in New York City to denote their special 20 mph neighborhood slow zones.

I don't know if DDOT put these up.  In any case, in DC, such signs do not denote a zone with speed limits less than 25 mph.  Also see "A Vision Zero agenda for DC."















Neighborhood slow zone signage in Brooklyn.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home