Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Friday, May 12, 2006

People on the street at 555 Massachusetts Ave. NW

This is not staged... I sent this photo as part of an email on the Columbia Heights email list about crime.

The point I was making is that as more developments are finished and come online, there will be more people out and about.

Sure more people make good targets, but at the same time, good uses help crowd out bad uses.

I am continually blown away now by how many people I see walking on the 400-600 blocks of Massachusetts Avenue NW, which not all that long ago, as DC residents remember, was dangerously desolate.

A block and two over was the center of transvestite prostitution in the city... K Street NW below 6th Street. I no longer work at night downtown, so I don't ride down K Street NW at night very much, so I don't really know if this traffic continues, but I imagine, especially as CityVista at 5th and K/L comes online, that these problems will be significantly reduced.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home