Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Sunday, October 06, 2019

Society of Environmental Graphic Design as a resource | Seattle Children's Research Institute street signage project

A few years ago, when I did an entry on wayfinding signage, a blog commenter mentioned the Society of Environmental Graphic Design and all the great resources they have.

I am working on a project where signage in terms of both wayfinding and identification is one of many issues, so I am doing some image research on "market" signage and I came across an SEGD article, "Seattle Children's Research Institute Neighborhood Visibility Project."

It's about how the Seattle, Children's (Medical) Research Institute used neon signage with particularly creative messaging to enliven the street frontage of what would normally be a closed off "office building", drawing on the great history of neon signage in Seattle, especially for the interior and exterior of Pike Place Market.

Of course, the Breakthrough sign is particularly appealing to me, since I believe, perhaps fulsomely, that the kinds of ideas, concepts, analysis and frameworks for best practice  presented in this blog are usually "breakthroughs."

(My joke is that I endeavor to do so, including providing references, because I don't want other people to be able to savage my writings the way I can in response to other pieces elsewhere.)

I often worry about becoming "stale." 

But my stale is still a lot better than most people's creative. 

Then again, my insights are always further developed, extended, and improved by interaction with others, which is why I appreciate the regular commenters I do have, and wish I had more.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 4:42 AM, Anonymous Online pharmacy said...

Much thanks to you for giving such significant data, and a debt of gratitude is for sharing this Business Promotion system.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home