Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Sunday, July 04, 2021

Vaccination misses Fourth of July goal

Tee shirt for sale by Zolucky (in a variety of colors).

I'm unfortunately not particularly empathetic to people with vaccine hesitation (cf. "Heidi Larson, Vaccine Anthropologist," New Yorker).  As Jim Justice, West Virginia's Republican Governor, said today, people not getting the vaccine are entering themselves into a "death lottery."

On an article about this in the Washington Post, a likely conservative commented, "what about Democrats who are unvaccinated."  I said "we're unhappy about it, we don't want them to die, we still think they are stupid."

And then I started thinking that someone needs to redo the David Bowie song, "Young Americans," with vaccination-related lyrics and retitle it "Dumb Americans."

One of President Biden's goals upon taking office was to have 70% of adults vaccinated by today.  He/the US won't be making that goal ("White House concedes US won't hit Biden's 70% vaccination goal by July 4," ABC News).

Interestingly, now in most places, over 95% of hospitalizations and 99% of deaths from covid are amongst people who are unvaccinated ("More than 99% of recent COVID deaths in US involve unvaccinated people, a 'sad and tragic' situation, Fauci says," USA Today).

Since a big thread of "American individualism" is about self-help (and the same goes with religion -- "God helps those who help themselves"), again, I have a difficult time being sympathetic or empathetic to people who willingly avoid getting vaccinated.

Maybe instead of the "Star Spangled Banner," the new American anthem should be "Dumb Americans."

Although an easier Bowie song for re-writing the lyrics on this topic would be "Fascination" as "Vaccination." (Revisions in italics.)

Sing along to the song with the revised lyrics and it sounds pretty good.

Got to get it

Every time I feel vaccination
I just can't stand still, I've got to get it
Every time I think of what you pulled me through, dear
Vaccination moves sweeping near me
Still I take ya

Vaccination
(Sure 'nuff) vaccination
(Makes a part of me) makes a part of me
(Can a heart beat) can a heart beat
(Live without fever) live without fever?
(Raging inside of me?)
(Vaccination) vaccination
(Oh, yeah) oh yeah
(Saves a part of me) saves a part of me
(I can help me) I can help me
(I've got to take it) got to take it
(Every time, ooh)
Vaccination comes around
(Ooh, oo, ooh)

your soul is calling
Like when I'm walking
Seems that everywhere I turn
I hope you're waiting for me
I know that people think
That I'm a little crazy
Ohh, better health is fun
I think I like vaccination
Still, tick

vaccination
(Sure 'nuff) ooh
(Makes a part of me) come on, come on, come on, come on
(Can a heart beat) can a heart beat
(Living without fever) living without fever?
(Raging inside of me?)
(Vaccination) vaccination
(Oh, yeah) oh yeah
(Makes a part of me) come on, come on
(I can help me) I can help me
(I've got to get it) got to get it
(Every time, ooh) every time
Vaccination comes around
(Ooh, oo, ooh)

sure 'nuff
(Sure 'nuff) makes a part of me
(Makes a part of me) can a heartbeat
(Can a heart beat) living without fever
(Live without fever) raging
(Raging inside of me?) vaccination
(Vaccinationvaccination
(Oh, yeah) vaccination
(Takes a part of me) vaccination makes a part of me
(I can't help it) fascination
(I've got to get it) got to get it
(Every time, ooh) every time
Vaccination comes around
Come around (ooh, oo, ooh) come around
(Vaccination)
Vaccination, vaccination, sure 'nuff
Vaccination makes a part of me, yeah yeah
Can a heartbeat (vaccination) live without fever (yeah yeah)
Raging inside of me, vaccination, yeah yeah
Oh yeah (vaccination), vaccination, yeah yeah

Oh yeah, oh yeah (yeah yeah), oh yeah, (vaccination) makes a part of me
I can help it, I can help it (yeah yeah)
You've got to take it, every time (yeah yeah), vaccination comes around (yeah yeah)
Vaccination comes around

Vaccination
Makes a part of me
Can a heart beat live without fever, raging inside of me
Vaccination makes a part of me, I can help it

Got to take it, every time, every time, every time, got to take it

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Real UsaJacket said...

Great post. Articles that have meaningful and insightful comments are more enjoyable, at least to me. It’s interesting to read what other people thought and how it relates to them or their clients, as their perspective could possibly help you in the future. topgun 2 jacket

 

Post a Comment

<< Home