Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

What is a destination business?

was a question I received at the presentation I made on Tuesday. I like going to commercial districts to evaluate the stores, but I don't like to shop for myself (other than books). I need new glasses and I have terrible problems with my eyes, requiring special lenses and such. In Frederick on Saturday, I got dragged into an optical shop, Visions.

That store defines "destination business" to a "t". It is a boutique, with specialized service, one of a kind eyeglasses, and a great interior. It's the difference between paying $1,000 or more for a pair of glasses and less than $100...

Check out their website for some photos of the store interior. I regret that I didn't have my camera that day, because their interior displays and storefront windows are great.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home