Interesting infographic on the Post Office
The USPS is interesting for a wide variety of reasons:
- post offices used to be key activity generators in downtowns and neighborhood commercial districts ("Rethinking community planning around maintaining neighborhood civic assets and anchors")
- the post office has shifted its location decision criteria to favor automobile access
- the post office has many sites suitable for mixed use redevelopment ("Historic preservation aspects of US Post Office downsizing")
- the ability of the post office to operate is restricted by Congressional controls over the agency--technically independent of the government--by passing laws
- the post office could innovate in theory but maybe it's impossible ("Post offices reconceptualized as small business support centers")
And the Numbers Sleuths have produced an infographic ("A World Without the Post Office on the Post Office that readers might find interesting.