Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

In the Walking City, socks aren't a fashion statement but a necessary piece of equipment

The actor Jonah Hill is one of the celebrity practitioners of the black- socks-and-shorts trend. Credit Bauer-Griffin/GC Images.

Yes, it's been a faux pas for as long as I can remember to wear "dark socks" with shorts.  And many people don't wear socks with shorts anywhere, figuring it doesn't look cool.  (I wear footies.)

But in the Walking City, shoes chafe against uncovered feet, causing blisters.

It's nice to know the New York Times is recognizing the value of socks, although their focus is sartorial.  See "Go Ahead, Wear a Pair of High Black Socks With Those Shorts."

======
There is the old saw about women buying shoes that are "too small" but buy them because "they look so good." In fact, Suzanne's unwilling to toss a pair of shoes she likes even though one has a broken heel which is unrepairable, because she likes them so much.

I was at a Deseret Industries thrift store in Pocatello, Idaho and there was a pair of Doc Marten's, brown, for only $5. I bought them, although they seemed a bit small, figuring they'd stretch out.

Nope. I still keep them (after some terrible "injuries" to my feet), but I only walk short distances while wearing them. Fortunately, I have another pair of Doc's, black, that fit just fine. And like Suzanne, I have another pair set aside for some day putting on new heels. I remember back in the day they would sell replacement heels, but I can't ever seem to find them now.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Anonymous charlie said...

ha.

I've calculated that I've walked more in the past five years than driven; although that doesn't include uber/taxi/rental cars.

Investing in shoes very important too.

Off topic,

https://www.ft.com/content/3c230ce8-4a0a-11e7-a3f4-c742b9791d43?sectionid=books

I hope that link can work.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Richard Layman said...

Actually, I've clipped that article but haven't gotten to it yet. The link does work. There's also a review in last week's WSJ, don't remember which day, of a book on the Atlanta Belt Line projecdt, which I guess qualifies as a BHPAP, but now I think I am calling them, Transformational ProjectsAction Plan(s), or BHATPAPs (a mouthful).

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Richard Layman said...

... oh yes, quality shoes definitely matter. One great pair I left in a hotel room in Chicago, another, somehow I lost one of the shoes--in the house. Never found it.

I like Doc Martens...

actually this reminds me I have to revise this entry...

 
At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wore docs when I was younger, but feet change with age. I have two pair I bought a few years ago that just don't fit right. Going on ebay or giveaway soon. Lack of half-sizes and wide widths is very limiting.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Richard Layman said...

I'm "lucky" that I have small feet. They've stretched over the years, but still about 8.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home