Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Monday, March 12, 2007

(I'm) in the Strip District (banner)

I'm working on a side research-consulting project in Pittsburgh, which is why I haven't been writing. I come back tonight.

And whenever the results are published (I am not the lead), then I can write about them directly. Until then, everything I've learned, and some new product and marketing mix analytical techniques for commercial districts that I came up with on Saturday (well maybe they aren't fully new, but none of the approaches have been applied to commercial districts as a whole, even though a couple of these approaches have been used by individual businesses), will infuse my other work and end up discussed in blog entries, if only indirectly.

Anyway, the Strip Market District in Pittsburgh (not the primary research area for the project, but the area and some meetings there helped generate the new techniques) is one of the better food districts I've ever been to. I love the Florida Market in DC, but the Strip District crushes the Florida Market (and it crushes Philly's Italian Market too--although the green grocers on the street at the Italian Market are still the least expensive produce vendors around in PGH, Philly, or DC).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home