Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Flexcar promotional bumper sticker (revised)

Sometimes when environmental and other advocacy groups want to give me a bumper sticker, I say "how could I use this? I 'drive' a bike."

Another example of how automobility and automobile-centricity permeates how people think, and without their really being conscious of it.

(This was on the 700 block of Girard Street NW I think...)
--------------------------

Clarification: I included the photo just because it's interesting (even if my own photo isn't). It wasn't meant to be a criticism of Flexcar or even the person who put the bumper sticker on their car. And it gave me an opportunity to make a point about how car culture permeates how most people think.

(If you really want to get an example, go to a community meeting, or sadly, read the most current issue of the Capitol Hill Restoration Society newsletter, which discusses a "transportation" study initiative by many allied groups including CHRS, which to my way of thinking is very much car oriented, and underthoughtful in terms of maximizing mobility. Or you could have attended last night's "community advisory committee" on Eastern Market...)

It turns out that Flexcar does have bicycle-sized adhesive stickers, and according to Marnie Cannon, Sr. Marketing Manager at Flexcar:

When we made that bumper-sticker this year, we also made a smaller version (about 1" x 2.5", I think), and a small circular version (maybe 2 inches diameter) specifically for bicyclists. Bike commuters and other cycling aficionados often find Flexcar a valuable addition to their transportation mix, and we actually have quite a few bike commuters in our company as well, so it's very important to us to keep these folks in mind when we're creating our marketing goodies. That's also why you'll note that the message is "My other set of wheels is a Flexcar," as opposed to "My other car is a Flexcar".

-------

One of the Pittsburgh posts I haven't yet written is about the Sprout Fund, which provides micro grants for people to do interesting civic-supporting projects. One of the projects they funded is a similar bumper sticker (which I have but haven't photographed yet) that says something like "My other vehicle is a Port Authority bus."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home