10 Principles of Strategic Leadership from Strategy+Business
10 Principles of Strategic Leadership," Strategy+Business.
According to the article, only 7% of managers are "strategic leaders."
1. Distribute responsibility.
2. Be honest and open about information.
3. Create multiple paths for raising and testing ideas.
4. Make it safe to fail.
5. Provide access to other strategists.
6. Develop opportunities for experience-based learning.
7. Hire for transformation.
8. Bring your whole self to work.
9. Find time to reflect.
10. Recognize leadership development as an ongoing practice.
The article discusses each of these elements with examples.
Governments, like DC with its Capital Fellows Program, often have "management development programs," primarily for newer hires. Although I haven't always been impressed with the projects they work on or the "insights" that are generated. Deeper focus on strategic leadership development is required.